About the school history of Auerbach
The number of inhabitants of Auerbach and also the number of pupils increased by the development of textile industry in Auerbach at the end of the 19th century.
Mr. Gorges, the headmaster of school, again and again turned to the school commitee, the Royal School Inspection and to the town council with the request to abolish the terrible state of the rooms in the schools of Auerbach. He pointed to the number of pupils increasing in 50 pupils a year. From 1893 to 1895 the number of pupils even increased in 141 to 1.395. 36 classes were taught in three schoolbuildings which showed a bad state of building and equipment. His request to provide at least further classrooms was refused as unfounded by mayor Kretschmar at the beginning of 1895.
But because of the increasing pressure of the public the construction of a new schoolbuilding was planned in the course of the year. On October 30th in 1895 the school commitee decided to apply for a construction of a central school. He gave the following reasons for this :
- the establishment of classrooms in private buildings is difficult and inaccessible
- the establishment of a planned hutbuilding won`t solve the problem of Auerbach`s schooling for the future and would only offer insufficiant conditions for education
- the neccesary financial means available at this time are under certain farowable conditions
Compared with the institution of district schools he gave the priority to the building of a central school because Auerbach would probably grow according to the number of its inhabitants but building a district school would not be justified by the expansion of the area.
Principle Gorges associated the construction of a central school with the following demands which he, considering a population number of 11.000 to 12.000, adressed to the Royal School Inspection: 30 classrooms, 1 art room, 1 room for " female " works, 1 physics room, 1 library with means of teaching, 1 room for collection, 1 auditorium, 1 gymnasium and toilet building.
The Keffel's Wiese , already acquired by the municipality, was planned as location; the estate had to be bought from the political municipality by the school municipality. Since one attached great importance to the fact that the main front faces to the town more territory from the so - called Kantor's Wiese had to be acquired. The size of the school building should provide enough space for the future.
On November 6th in 1895 the town decided in favour of the building plans, on november 25th the town council and on the 29th the Royal School Inspection accepted the plans. The suggestions of principle Gorges were taken in the essential into the project.
The company Ludwig & Hülssner, Leipzig, specialised in the construction of school buildings designed first the construction plan in 1895/96. The company was active at several projects in the area between Rhein, Sudetenland and Schlesien. In 1895 this company had already build the school in Markneukirchen. On January 10th in 1896 the architect Jummel presented his plans to the town council with a total cost ranging from 300.000 to 312.000 Marks.
In the following time there were ugly arguments between the town council Auerbach and the company Ludwig & Hülssner. Already before the negotiations the company pointed out that they couldn`t realize the building in 1896. But only through an article in the paper " Leipziger Zeitung " the company got to know the fact that the town council gave the order to the architect Lange from Leipzig with the explanation that he was " a son of the town ". In a letter to the town council the company complained that such business manners hadn`t occured to them before particulary the more that the project af the architect Lange followed the ground plan of the architect Jummel in all details. But the dice were thrown. Since March 12th in 1896 Lange was the new architect. His project included a sum of 350.000 Marks.
The town took a credit about 400.000 Marks to 3 % interest and a time of about 49 years at the Agricultural Credit Institution. But the financial situation changed in 1896 so that the credit sum increased to 450.000 Marks and the interest rate to 4 %.
The building of the central school was started. It was a long house with a douplex corridor. On the left and on the right hand there were a two floor building each with seperate entrances, staircases, seperate exits, toilets and playgrounds.
After a building time of two years the central school was inaugurated on April 23th in 1898. This day was declared a holiday because the inauguration was celebrated together with the 70th birthday and the 25th anniversary of rule of the King of Saxony.
- The town house I ( current " Superindendentur ", Kirchplatz 4 ) became a six - form High School with Pro - High School.
- The town house II ( the so - called Knollsche Häuser, current appartments, Kirchplatz 7 ) became the registry office of Auerbach.
- The town house III ( the so - called " new scholl house ", Kirchstr. 1 ) became a commercial school for further education.
Even in the further use of the former school buildings the suggestions of the principal Gorge were followed to a large extent.
But already on July 9th in 1905 at three o`clock a fire broke out in the centre section of the school which destroyed almost completely the assembly hall including its valuable organ, its equipment and the clock in the tower.
The school commitee wanted a fast repair. It was also considered to renew the assembly hall not in the old size but to subdivide it into three parts - one larger and two small ones. Thereby they wanted to achieve the conditions for accomodation of the six - form High School into the central school which was not charged to capacity.
The arguments within the town delegates, the school commitee and the town council about it were also partly settled in the press.However on July 20th the town council decided to maintain the assembly hall in its old size. The restoring began in August 1905.